Designregio Kortrijk is looking for 3 highly motivated and recently graduated designer-makers or creative artists to join in a regional residency program in Kortrijk, Belgium.
The Designers in Residence Kortrijk program is a 3-month full time working residency from September to December 2019.
Designregio Kortrijk provides for the selected Designers in Residence Kortrijk:
- monthly fee (400 €/month)
- usage of Budalab Open Makerspace & Bolwerk Workspace
- experts in several domains and support of Designregio Kortrijk
- one-time travel expenses
This year's theme is: The Future of Domesticity
Exploring new ways of designing space in order to tackle common problems that many experience in our new urban realities. Working with a small footprint in mind, answering the challenges in a way that combines design knowledge with experience and fun.
Designregio Kortrijk invites 3 young designers to develop an experimental concept for The Future of Domesticity, through confrontation between citizens, society, entrepreneurs and education in regions such as Kortrijk.
«Domesticity (Cambridge dictionary)
noun [ U ] UK /ˌdəʊ.mesˈtɪs.ə.ti/ US /ˌdoʊ.mesˈtɪs.ə.t̬i/
life at home taking care of your house and family»
The compactness of this region is both a benefit and a challenge.
During the Kortrijk Creativity Week from 23 - 27 October 2019 the Designers in Residence Kortrijk will get the opportunity to show their research and on-going progress to the audience.
Designregio Kortrijk will be your host. We organize projects, inspire with good practices and connect companies, designers, education and government.
Designers in Residence Kortrijk is an initiative of Designregio Kortrijk, platform for creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship for the region Kortrijk in Belgium. A region part of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) that breaths design thinking, visible through its design education, creative making industry, international events and inspiring public space.
We are a joint venture of 5 regional organisations, with whom you will work closely together. This will allow you as a designer to connect with the local community (city of Kortrijk), local producers and maker industry (Voka West-Flanders & Interieur Foundation), urban planners and developers (Leiedal) and innovative education (Howest).
At the same time, the Buda Island is the focal point for a fascinating community of creative individuals, companies, cultural organizations, creative teaching as well as end-users. The aim is to connect with the local maker industry, largely embedded in the region and local producers in a contemporary way.
- The Budafabriek, Budalab Open Makerspace & Bolwerk Workspace are the inspirational locations in Kortrijk (Belgium) where you will create, work and live.
- The Kortrijk region (Belgium) is a strong player in the economically blooming largest European inter-regional Eurometropolis and can be exemplified by large companies such as Barco, Bekaert, Unilin, Vandewiele, as well as a large number of family owned SME’s with an international outlook such as Skyline, Delta Light, Renson, Casalis, Obumex, Curana and many more.
- University College HOWEST & their Industrial Design Center is an open knowledge center and a communication platform between the industry and the education, research and development programs of the Howest and Ghent University in Kortrijk. Digital Arts & Entertainment and Devine - Digital Design and Development are, amongst others, two of their state of the art education programs.
The profile of the designers must correspond to the following criteria:
- recently graduated (minimum level: master)
- team player
- manual skills (conceptual, handy, production, fabrication)
- an international outlook
Are you one of the designers we are looking for? Do you see the unique added value in participating in this residency?
Apply HERE before Friday 21 June 2019
!!! Completed applications must be submitted to Designregio Kortrijk before Friday 21 June 2019, 9:00 CET. Applications received after this deadline will not be accepted.